Monday, June 30, 2008

Dan Smith Workshop

I just returned from an incredible workshop at a ski lodge in the mountains near Penticton BC with Dan Smith and his son Adam. I had hoped for many many years to take a workshop from Dan but never had the opportunity. I was not disappointed, I learned so much and soaked in tons of inspiration from his original paintings there not to mention Adams that is one TALENTED kid! The group was limited to 35 students and everyone was wonderful, it was a very inspiring and informative week. I started a painting of a bighorn sheep while I was there and will be posting it when I get it done. I am really enjoying painting it in the new methods I learned. Dan rarely does workshops but if you ever get a chance to go to one, I'd highly recommend it. We got an extra bonus one evening with a visit from Terry Isaac, he lives there in Penticton and is old friends with Dan so he came over and helped on student critique night. Awesome.

The workshop was run by Denise Soule and her husband Jamie with "Wild Streak" who puts on great workshops and reference gathering trips for artists.

No comments: